The popularity of IFC products is, in part, due to the fact that many of our producers practice non-traditional methods of production. To promote consistency and clarity of meaning, the IFC has adopted a list of acceptable terminology to be used by our producers for the purpose of describing these practices. Consumers can shop the IFC with confidence knowing that the terms used by our producers to describe their practices are consistent with the definitions listed below.
Each PRODUCT TYPE will be clearly defined in one of these categories. Producer’s general practices will be described on their Profile Page. But each individual product will have clarification about the practices used on that particular item to purchase.
- Certified Organic
- Certified Naturally grown
- Naturally grown, self declared
- Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
- Animal Welfare Approved
- Cage Free
- Free Range
- No artificial hormones or antibiotics
- Fair Trade Certified
- Gluten Free
- N/A products that do not fall into about production practices
We will not inspect each farm, but will expect all producers to follow our Expectations Guidelines.
- Inspected & Certified as outlined by the USDA.
- We will also include products grown with exemption certificate provided by certifying agent
Certified Naturally Grown
- Follows the above standards but is certified through peer group. Learn more here.
- Refers to a farm assurance program certifying produce, livestock and apiaries for organic producers who sell locally and directly to their customers. Founded in 2002 this certification requires the same standards set forth by the USDA for organic production, however certification is carried out through peer inspections thereby reducing cost and paperwork.
- To be granted the CNG certification, farmers don’t use any synthetic herbicides, pesticides, fertilizers, antibiotics, hormones, or genetically modified organisms. CNG livestock are raised mostly on pasture and with space for freedom of movement. Feed must be grown without synthetic inputs or genetically modified seeds
Naturally grown self declared
- We have many producers who choose not to be certified, but are raising their goods in a natural, holistic manner.
- No synthetic inputs to vegetables & crops
- No Commercial Fertilizers
- Non GMO seeds, grain & feeds.
- No Hormones or Antibiotics are given to any animal
Integrated Pest Management
- Keeps pest population at an acceptable level with minimal use of pesticides. This practice combines information on the life cycle of pests with available pest control methods to manage pest damage by the most economical means and with the least possible hazard to people, property and the environment. Learn more here.
Animal Welfare Approved
- Certified and Inspected by Animal Welfare Approved
- Flock was able to freely roam a building, room, or enclosed area with unlimited access to food and fresh water during their production cycle.
- Allowed access to pasture at all times. Animal may be confined for a maximum of two continuous weeks during very inclement weather. Minimum space requirements of 108 sq. ft. for birds, 16 sq. ft. for sheep, 56 sq. ft. for pigs, and 54 sq. ft. for cattle.
GrassFed , Beef & Lamb only. All other animals require minimum grain levels
- As Defined by the USDA
- Animal has only consumed forages and milk for the length of their life. Grains and grain by-products are NEVER EVER consumed by the animal
No Artificial Hormones or antibiotics
- Meat raised without artificial hormones or antibiotics for their entire life.
Fair Trade Certified
- Certified and Inspected by Fair Trade USA.
- As defined by the FDA
- Production methods do not fit into above definitions.
- Above definitions do not apply to the product.