Iowa Caprese Salad
Recipe submitted by: Jennifer A. Miller
About this recipe: Caprese is a classic summer salad made up of fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, and olive oil. I've given the traditional recipe a makeover to use all Iowa Food Coop products. There are plenty of variations and more vegetables and flavors can be added depending on availability.
- 1/2 pound Frisian Farms gouda curds OR Yellow River Dairy goat cheese curds
- 3 large ripe tomatoes or 1 pint cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 2-3 Tablespoons Pickle Creek Herbal Basil & Garlic Infused Olive Oil
- salt + pepper to taste
- Roughly chop cheese curds into bite sized pieces. Cut basil into ribbons or strips.
- Combine cheese, tomatoes, and basil in a medium bowl. Pour over 2 Tablespoons olive oil, adding more to ensure ingredients are lightly coated.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with crostini from Zaza's Pasta.
Yield: Serves 4 as a salad--may be doubled
Notes: Cucumber adds a nice crunch to this salad
-Salad may be topped with red or green onions for additional flavor
-Excellent served over pasta
Original source: Adapted from traditional caprese salad