Maasdam’s sorghum syrup available here.
Sorghum Chocolate Chip Cookies (Vegan)
Recipe submitted by: Jennifer A. Miller
About this recipe: The sweet and local taste of Maasdam's sorghum syrup is showcased in this egg-free, dairy-free, and gluten-free (if needed) recipe for classic chocolate chip cookies.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup raw sugar (white sugar will substitute)
- 1/3 cup Maasdam's sorghum syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/3 scant cup grapeseed or canola oil (slightly less than 1/3 cup)
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment.
- In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients except the chocolate chips. Use a mixer if available. Dough will be a bit more oily than typical cookie dough.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop by tablespoonful onto prepared sheets and flatten slightly. It is worth doing a test cookie to see how much they spread.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes (baking times may vary). Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before transferring to a plate to cool completely.
Yield: 2 dozen small cookies or 1 dozen medium-sized
Notes: A really fun way to try out sorghum syrup!
Original source: Adapted from http://viveleveganrecipes.blogspot.com/2006/01/homestyle-chocolate-chip-cookies.html