Fairytale pumpkins, also known as Musquee de Provence winter squash.|
Rowdy Reserve gets its quirky name from our great great grandfather "Rowdy" and his wife Eliza who farmed much of this hilly swath – between Grand River and Ellston – in the 1900s. In 2013, their great great grandsons Erin and Mike brought the land back into the family, where we – Erin and Cindy Cole – have since been living and gardening. Our aim is growing as much of our own food as possible. Fairytale pumpkins, also known as Musquee de Provence winter squash, will be our first foray into selling what we grow.
Check out our website/facebook page at TO COME.
Browse through our Products for Sale
Practices (our standards for raising or making our products)
We garden naturally with no commercial fertilizers or pesticides.
Flavor, texture, so many uses:
• Cut up Fairytale pumpkin is delicious RAW. Its taste is somewhere between melon or papaya, and its texture firm and crispy like jicama. Want a healthy snack? Cubes or slices of Fairytale make a great snack to eat out of hand. It keeps well in the fridge for a week, often longer.
• Fairtytale works in any pumpkin recipe – pie, soup, casserole – and delivers exceptional flavor. What’s more, Fairytale can replace sweet potato or squash, even white potato, in most recipes.
• We use Fairytale in pie, half a dozen soups, curries, a couple of casseroles, and with morning oatmeal, and share our recipes ON WEBSITE/FB page*.
• Fairytale pumpkin is irresistible when roasted. We’ve taken a big crock of roasted fairytale – straight up – to potlucks.
Practical Fairytale pumpkin notes:
- Roasting Fairytale is a cinch; put it in jars and freeze for later use.
- Have a small, fist-size seed center; seeds are super easy to scoop out.
- Fairytales store well in a cool dark place, such as a root cellar if you have one, and or mostly dark garage at 50-55F.
- Are easier to cut up than you might imagine. See how-to on the WEBSITE/FB page. The skin yields easily to a knife. Cut up your fairytale all at once, or, cut in wedges to be used through the week.
Highlights this Month
With Fairytale pumpkins long storing capacity, they're a fall harvest item that you can enjoy till spring's garden begins to produce.