A little bit sweet and a whole lot of savory, who doesn't love veggie-filled waffles for dinner?! Thank you to our members Daniel Burnette and his wife, Karen Fullenwider, for this delicious recipe.
- FOR THE WAFFLES:
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt plus more as needed
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup ice water
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup finely chopped kimchi
- 4 cups finely grated emphasis on finely grated mixed vegetables (carrots, zucchini, bell peppers, kale, whatever you’ve got)
- 4 scallions cut into 2-inch-long sections and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil plus more as needed
- FOR THE DIPPING SAUCE:
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger or garlic optional
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil plus more to taste
- pinch of granulated sugar
Prepare the pancakes: In a large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, cornstarch, salt and baking powder.
In a medium bowl, combine water, egg and kimchi. Whisk kimchi mixture into flour mixture, and whisk until smooth. Fold in vegetables and about three-quarters of the scallions. (Save the rest for garnish.)
In a large nonstick waffle iron over medium heat, heat 1 teaspoon oil. Scoop portions of batter into the waffle iron and cook on medium heat.Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle with a little more salt. Continue with remaining batter.
Before serving, make the dipping sauce: In a small bowl, stir together soy sauce, vinegar, ginger or garlic (if using), sesame oil and sugar. Sprinkle sliced scallion over pancakes, and serve with dipping sauce on the side.