Pork, Apple + Sauerkraut Stew
A wonderfully winter meal using local and seasonal ingredients!
- 2 jars of Agri-cultured sauerkraut
- One onion, chopped
- 4 T WW Homestead butter
- 4 carrots, roughly chopped
- Bay leaf
- Salt + pepper
- 1 boneless Pork roast, 2.5-3 lbs
- One bag Iowa Choice Harvest apples
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water or broth
- –Soak 2 jars of Agri-cultured sauerkraut in water for 15 minutes, drain and squeeze liquid out , set aside
- – Saute one chopped onion in 2 T of WW Homestead butter
- – Add roughly chopped carrots from Country Roads Produce
- – Add one bay leaf, ground pepper, one teaspoon of salt
- -Transfer all to crock pot for slow cooking or a heavy duty pot for braising in oven.
- – Brown one pork roast in WW homestead butter on all sides and add to pot above.
- -Add one bag of Iowa Choice Harvest apples
- – Add one teaspoon of caraway seeds and 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar
- – Add 1/4 c brown sugar
- -1 cup of water or broth
- -Cook until done 4-6 hours in crock pot on low, or 2-3 hours in oven at 325F.