What’s in Your Basket is a new feature of “The Dirt: IFC’s Blog,” where we feature a consumer of IFC and what is in their basket that week. Want to be featured on What’s in Your Basket? Send an email to Ash.
Shelene Billups started shopping at IFC in 2013 because she wanted to support local producers and know where her family’s food came from. A few short years later she is IFC’s Consumer Vice President and feeds her family of three 80-90 percent local, Iowa produced food. Half of that comes from IFC.
In addition to shopping through IFC Shelene’s family purchases meat in bulk directly from farmers and belongs to a CSA.
1. Juan’s Supremo Habanero Salsa (Add to your cart here!)
“My husbands absolute favorite snack is chips & salsa, and Juan’s Supremo Habanero is his preferred salsa (and he’s tried so many through the years!) I order at least a few of those every cycle to keep our pantry stocked.”
2. Soap from Heritage Hill or Pickle Creek (Add to your cart here!)
3. Iowa Sourdough from Wild Yeast Bakery (Add to your cart here!)
She said her son loves this bread so it’s become a regular staple in their cart.
Recipe Idea: BLTs – with bacon from Lucky George Farm, Head lettuce from our CSA, and Tomatoes pictured from Wilted Leaf (I like to add onion and my homemade mayo) served on toasted Iowa Sourdough.
4. Seasoning Blends from Curbin’ Cuisine (Add to your cart here!)
Recipe Idea: El Taco Suave seasoning from Curbin’ Cuisine seasoning ground beef from Hickory Hills, tomatoes from Wilted Leaf, bell peppers and lettuce mix from Red Barn Produce, and salsa from Juan’s for my hubby (too spicy for me!)
5. Fresh produce! Right now they love Huber Family Farm’s Carrots. (Add to your cart here!)
“I’m always excited when there is a rainbow of fresh produce available – our favorites are bell peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, beautiful winter squash, and lots of greens.”
Recipe Idea: Immune-boosting vegetable soup and broth
6. Maple Syrup from Great River Maple (Add to your cart here!)
7. Agri-Cultured’s Fermented Dill Pickles and Garlic Dill Sauerkraut (Add to your cart here!)
Thanks Shelene for letting us take a peek in your basket!