Check out this recipe from our recent cooking demo by IFC board member Robin. Participants loved the dish and its full-flavored simplicity.
Carne Guisada + Mexican Rice (Delicious, SIMPLE, Local)
- 1 – 1.5 lbs. beef stew meat or chuck roast, cut into
- roughly 1.5” pieces
- • 1⁄2 medium onion, cut into quarters
- • 1 red bell pepper, cut into large chunks
- • 2 tomatoes, cut into quarters
- • 3 cloves garlic, minced
- • 2 tsp ground cumin
- • 1⁄2 tsp dried oregano or 1 1⁄2 tsp fresh chopped oregano
- • 1 tsp salt
- • 1 tsp ground black pepper
- • 1 tsp ancho chile powder
- • 1 tsp smoked paprika
- • 3⁄4 cup beef stock (can substitute water)
- • 1 1⁄2 TB cornstarch
- • 2 TB water
- • Chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
- In a food processor or blender, combine the onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, garlic, cumin,
- oregano, salt, black pepper, ancho chile powder, and smoked paprika. Blend until everything is
- Place the beef cubes into the Instant Pot and pour the vegetable-spice mixture over it.
- Use the 3⁄4 cup of beef stock to rinse out the food processor or blender and pour into the pot.
- Stir to combine. Seal the Instant Pot.
- Cook on the manual setting at high pressure for 20 minutes. When the cooking cycle is
- complete, quickly release the pressure.
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté mode and bring it to a boil. Boil for 5 – 10 minutes to reduce the
- amount of liquid.
- Combine the cornstarch with 2 TB of water. Pour into the pot and stir to combine. Allow it to
- return to a boil and continue boiling, stirring often, to thicken the sauce to desired consistency.