One-Pan Wonder – Chicken & Crispy Gnocchi with Spinach (w/Vegan Option)
- 4 slices of bacon
- 5 oz. sliced mushrooms shiitake, portobella, white button – any mushrooms are fine
- 1 lb. chicken breast or chicken thighs – bone-in or boneless (if bone-in, cut off bones) cut into chunks
- 1/4 tsp seasoned salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1-2 TB Greek oregano & garlic infused olive oil
- 12 oz package gnocchi if you need gluten-free, be sure to read the package since not all gnocchi is created equal
- 3 to 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup pesto from a jar or homemade – your choice
- grated Reggiano for topping
- Add bacon to a cold large skillet and cook over medium heat until crispy. Remove to a clean plate, reserving bacon fat in the skillet. Once cooled, crumble or chop the bacon.
- Turn up the heat medium-high, season chicken with seasoned salt & pepper. Add seasoned chicken and mushrooms to the skillet and cook until chicken is no longer pink in the center. Scoop chicken and mushrooms onto the plate with the bacon.
- Add enough olive oil to the skillet to equal about 2 TB of fat. Reduce heat to medium and add gnocchi, arranging in a single layer. Saute until bottoms are golden brown and crispy – about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir, and continue to saute another 2 or 3 minutes until gnocchi are tender and golden brown all over.
- Turn heat down to low, all fresh spinach, chicken, mushrooms, and crumbled bacon to the pan. Cover with a lid and allow spinach to mostly wilt – about 3 minutes. Stir in chicken, bacon, mushrooms, and 1/4 cup pesto, taste and add additional pesto or black pepper if needed. Allow to cook for another minute before removing from heat and plating. Serve immediately with a sprinkle of grated Reggiano.