Budget Stretcher Recipe: Cheeseburger Macaroni
- 1 lb ground beef, capon, or turkey
- 1 TB cornstarch
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp honey or 1 tsp sugar okay to omit if you’re focusing on a lower sugar diet
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked pasta elbow, bowtie, spirals, penne, or egg noodles all work just fine – no need to buy anything special, use whatever is in your pantry
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese or cheese curds
- Brown ground meat in a large skillet over medium-high heat, then drain any fat, and return to skillet.
- Add cornstarch, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, honey/sugar, black pepper to the meat. Stir in hot water, followed by the milk and pasta. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, place lid on skillet, then simmer until pasta is al dente (7 – 10 minutes depending on your noodle shape). Stir a few times while pasta is cooking.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in the shredded cheese until melted. Let stand for about 5 minutes to thicken the sauce.