Egg nog is one of those holiday traditions that many of us look forward to as soon as the air turns crisp in autumn. This decadent French toast allows you to extend that tradition to brunch! Whether you’re making breakfast for a crowd, or a cozy morning for two, this French toast will quickly become one of your favorites. –Robin
Egg Nog French Toast
- 1/2 loaf of brioche or other dense bread, but I highly recommend using brioche, sliced into 1" thick slices - about 5 or 6 slices
- 1 1/4 cup of egg nog
- 1 to 2 TB rum or bourbon add to your personal preference (optional, but recommended)
- 2 TB whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla exract
- About 3 TB ghee
- Whipped cream see below for fresh whipped cream for serving
- Maple syrup for serving
Fresh whipped cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp powdered sugar
- Using a hand or stand mixer, whip the heavy cream, vanilla, and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Set aside until serving time.
- Combine the egg nog, rum or bourbon (if using), milk, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract. Whisk until the eggs and milk are completely combined with the egg nog.
- In a large skillet or griddle over medium heat, melt about 1 tsp of ghee per toast slice.
- Dunk the bread slices into the egg nog mixture and allow to soak for 10-15 seconds per side (more or less depending on how you like your toast - though the longer it soaks, the more batter you'll need). Place in the skillet and cook until lightly golden brown on each side - about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Serve topped with maple syrup and fresh whipped cream.