There’s been some new products added (see below), but this message is mostly about the new Whole Foods store. Its opening in Des Moines has generated a lot of interest, and having more shopping options is usually better, but we hope you don’t abandon the IFC in exchange for the glitz and glamour of the new store.
There are good reasons to stick with your cooperative when shopping for food.
- One is price. A price check on 28 comparable products found Whole Food prices were on average 22% higher than the IFC.
- 90% of what you pay for food bought through the IFC goes straight to its farmer-owners (the other 10% helps run the business). Whole Foods can’t do the same.
- 100% of our products are locally-grown or produced. Their goal is 20% (yes, only 20%).
- 100% of your money stays local (as opposed to being shipped off to Texas). Every dollar you spend helps build our local economy (one of the most direct things you can do to make our communities).
- Finally, you own the IFC. It is yours to hold, cherish, patronize, and promote.
We hope you will continue to do so. The shopping cart will be open until midnight tomorrow (Sunday), with delivery this coming Thursday (Aug. 12th).
1) apples from Huber Family Farm; 2) comb honey from Ebert Honey Company; 3) sweet corn from the Threshing Floor; 4) whole chickens from Raccoon Forks Farm, and 5) heritage breed natural beef hotdogs from Crooked Gap Farm.