- 1 medium-to-large butternut squash
- 3 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil
- 2 large leeks (white part only), cleaned and chopped
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1½ teaspoons salt
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Halve and seed the squash. Oil a baking sheet and place the squash on it, cut side down. Bake until squash can be easily pierced with a fork, about 1 hour. Let cool, then scoop the pulp from the skin and discard skin.
Melt butter in a soup pot over medium-low heat. Add leeks and ginger and cook, stirring, until tender but not browned. Stir in squash pulp and 4 cups of stock; bring to a simmer and cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking up squash with a spoon.
Remove from heat and puree until smooth with an infusion (stick) blender or in batches in a food processor.
Return to heat adn stir in remaining stock and salt. Heat through and serve.