Fall… football… tailgating… and sloppy joes… who’s ready?
This easy recipe will have you ditching that can in no time. Taking to a tailgate? You can make this a day or two ahead of time and keep it warm in a crockpot, or warmed on a portable grill or camp stove (use a disposable foil pan for easy clean up!). Want to cook once and eat a few times? Double it, and divide it into freezer bags – it will easily keep for 6+ months.
Ditch That Can Sloppy Joes
- 1 TB butter
- 2 lbs lean ground beef (Note: you can substitute ground capon, chicken, turkey, lentil, or a soy meat product)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 2 TB brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 TB tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Shredded cheese for serving (optional)
- Hamburger buns for serving
- Add the butter to a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium high heat, followed by the ground beef. Cook until the browned, breaking up any large clumps of meat. Drain the fat and discard.
- Add the onions, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add ketchup, water, brown sugar, dry mustard, red pepper flakes, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Stirring to combine. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and let cook for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and let reduce for another 5 minutes, or until desired consistency.
- Serve on toasted buns, topped with cheese, and your favorite side.
- Any leftovers freeze well.