Not only is this compote a cinch to make (3 ingredients? What?!), but it’s also extremely versatile and with no refined or processed sugar, even a little bit healthy with all those antioxidants from the blueberries. With all the proven health benefits of blueberries, you may even want to double or triple the recipe. You can serve this compote on its own, or put it on nearly anything or everything from pound or angel food cake, biscuits, toast, pancakes, ice cream, crackers, crepes – the possibilities are virtually endless!
- 1 1/3 cup blueberries fresh or frozen, divided
- 1 TB + 1 tsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Place 1 cup of blueberries, honey (or maple syrup), and vanilla in a small saucepan and mix gently. Heat over low heat.
- Cook 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the blueberries are soft and starting to burst.
- Take the compote off the heat and stir in the remaining 1/3 cup of blueberries. It will thicken as it cools.
Store leftovers, covered, in the fridge for up to 1 week.