One-Pan Wonder – Chicken & Crispy Gnocchi with Spinach (w/Vegan Option)
We all need a one-pan wonder from time to time and this one certainly fits the bill. Whether it’s for a special occasion or the middle of the week, this dish is sure to please both the palate and the eye. Note: If you want to make this dish vegetarian or Vegan, you can absolutely skip the bacon, chicken, and cheese by simply swapping in and extra pound of sliced mushrooms. If you do a mushroom medley, it adds a nice complexity to the flavors.
- 4 slices of bacon
- 5 oz. sliced mushrooms shiitake, portobella, white button – any mushrooms are fine
- 1 lb. chicken breast or chicken thighs – bone-in or boneless (if bone-in, cut off bones) cut into chunks
- 1/4 tsp seasoned salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1-2 TB Greek oregano & garlic infused olive oil
- 12 oz package gnocchi if you need gluten-free, be sure to read the package since not all gnocchi is created equal
- 3 to 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup pesto from a jar or homemade – your choice
- grated Reggiano for topping
- Add bacon to a cold large skillet and cook over medium heat until crispy. Remove to a clean plate, reserving bacon fat in the skillet. Once cooled, crumble or chop the bacon.
- Turn up the heat medium-high, season chicken with seasoned salt & pepper. Add seasoned chicken and mushrooms to the skillet and cook until chicken is no longer pink in the center. Scoop chicken and mushrooms onto the plate with the bacon.
- Add enough olive oil to the skillet to equal about 2 TB of fat. Reduce heat to medium and add gnocchi, arranging in a single layer. Saute until bottoms are golden brown and crispy – about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir, and continue to saute another 2 or 3 minutes until gnocchi are tender and golden brown all over.
- Turn heat down to low, all fresh spinach, chicken, mushrooms, and crumbled bacon to the pan. Cover with a lid and allow spinach to mostly wilt – about 3 minutes. Stir in chicken, bacon, mushrooms, and 1/4 cup pesto, taste and add additional pesto or black pepper if needed. Allow to cook for another minute before removing from heat and plating. Serve immediately with a sprinkle of grated Reggiano.